No. 666, built 1910
3rd Class Open Saloon No. 666
No. 666, with its Barnum sisters, shows how the GCR aimed to exploit its more generous loading gauge, being higher and wider than all later BR types. It was employed on the emerging excursion traffic. It is a 3rd class open saloon for 64 people in two compartments, built with massive picture windows and extra long bogies for passenger comfort. Produced at the new Dukinfield Manchester works to the design of John G. Robinson. This vehicle is on loan from the National Railway Museum collection. Photo courtesy of the Vintage Carriages Trust, after emerging from passenger service and then with interiors ripped out used as an Engineers support vehicle.